Growing up, our moms impressed upon us the importance of sending thank you notes. We guess you could say our love affair with stationery started there.
In a world of instant gratification via text or email, it’s easy to send off a quick thank you and mark that to-do off your list. But, more meaningful than a text, a handwritten thank you note helps you stand out.
And shows you’re truly grateful.
When someone has given you a gift, done something for you, or gone out of their way to show you kindness, acknowledge their generosity and efforts with a thank you note.
Not sure what to write to adequately express your gratitude? We’ve got you covered!
What to write
Instead of opening with the standard ‘Thank you for the _______,” which can feel stiff, our best advice is to start your note of thanks with the word “you.” For example, “You shouldn’t have!” or “You’re the most thoughtful person!” Then, say thank you. It works like a charm when you need help getting the gratitude flowing.
Here are the right words to use solo or as a starter for your thank yous.
- You remembered.
- You shouldn’t have.
- You are so thoughtful.
- Works cannot express my gratitude.
- Your thoughtful gift…
- I’m so inspired by your generosity.
- You’ve changed my life.
- You are wonderful, generous, and kind.
- I will never forget…
- Thank you.
While etiquette books will tell you it’s important to write a thank you note the day you receive a gift, we feel it’s never too late to express your gratitude.
- You are the greatest ever!
- I can’t believe you remembered I wanted ____, but you did.
- I’m delighted by your generosity.
- Thank you for the amazing gift!
Everyone loves a good party, but rarely do we stop to think about all the effort that goes into actually throwing one.
For gracious hosts, we like to call out our favorite memory or the very best part of the event. And we always make sure to include a compliment.
- You are the ultimate host.
- I’ve never met anyone who is as good a host as you!
- I couldn’t think of a better way to spend our weekend.
- Looking forward to more _______ with you!
Our favorite thank yous are the ones we send that acknowledge someone for the good they bring to our lives rather than the material things.
These notes are written to the people you love and admire to let them know how much they mean to you. If you’ve never written a note like this, now’s the perfect time.
- You are—hands down—one of the most amazing people on the planet.
- You are so generous with your time and encouragement.
- I’m a better person for having you in my life.
- Thank you for always cheering me on and telling me the truth when I need to hear it.
- It’s rare to find a friend like you.
- I appreciate you more than you will ever know.