It’s wedding season! And that means… lots of gifts to be thankful for.
For every wedding gift received, a handwritten thank you note is a must. Technically, couples have one year from their wedding date to send out their thanks. However, as they say, time flies when you’re having fun!
After a wedding, the number of thank yous that need to be written can feel overwhelming. Here’s our best advice:
- Write the note immediately after opening the gift.
- Write the note immediately after using the gift for the first time.
- Create a spreadsheet with columns for the gift, giver, notes or impressions, and the date you wrote and mailed the thank you.
What to write
Sometimes writing a thank you note can be intimidating, especially when the list multiplies.
To help you get it done and to get it done right, we’ve broken it down into the five steps we always include in every thank you.
- Step 1: Say hello. Or start with Dear.
- Step 2: Let them know why you’re writing. Tell them it was great to see them at your wedding or thank them for the gift they sent.
- Step 3: Say something that reflects how you’ll use their gift. Be specific. Don’t forget to use the actual words “thank you!”
- Step 4: Say something that refers to the future, even if it’s just “See you soon!”
- Step 5: Sign off with a greeting. We recommend Love, All my love, Thanks again, Many thanks, or xo.